Taking supplements is now a normal part of everyday life and there are a wide range of supplements available. You may take many of these daily to help maintain health and to ensure a complete diet. One such supplement that is gaining popularity is the Diindolylmethane supplement. It promises positive health benefits and may even protect against certain cancers.
What is Diindolylmethane?
Diindolylmethane is produced when the body breaks down indole-3-carbinol, found naturally in cruciferous vegetables. These vegetables are the green leafy vegetables such as; broccoli, cabbage, kale, cauliflower and Brussel sprouts. Alternatively, to ensure sufficient levels in your diet Diindolylmethane is also available as a supplement.
How does Diindolylmethane work?
Diindolylmethane works by regulating the level of the hormone, estrogen. It helps to correct an imbalance of good and bad estrogens. While we do not understand the exact mechanism of how Diindolylmethane works, it seems to effect how the body metabolizes estrogen. Under certain conditions Diindolylmethane may be able to block the effect of estrogen. This could have an important role in protecting the body against certain hormone driven diseases and cancers.
The Benefits of Diindolylmethane
Diindolylmethane has the potential to offer a number of exciting health benefits for both men and women, especially those suffering from estrogen dominance. The benefits of Diindolylmethane include;
- Protection against certain cancers including; breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer and colon cancer. Diindolylmethane may be able to stop the growth of cancer cells and to also prevent the cancer from spreading. It may even be able prevent the spread of Human Papilloma virus which is a viral infection that contributes to the development of cervical and lung cancer.
- Preventing Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy, a male condition that causes an enlargement of the prostate gland.
- Treatment for Pre Menstrual Syndrome through its regulation of estrogen.
- Preventing hormonal acne in females through its effect on estrogen.
- Aiding weight loss by increasing the body’s metabolism so it burns higher levels of fat. This results in the body using more energy so that less fat is stored by the body.
- Acting as an antioxidant, creating e an anti-inflammatory effect.
Diindolylmethane has a wide range of benefits so it has great potential to have a positive effect on many peoples health. It also has the hope of giving protection against a number of serious conditions. However, we do not have a complete understanding of the effect of Diindolylmethane, so more research is needed to find out the full benefit of this supplement.
Who can take this supplement?
As we do not yet know everything about Diindolylmethane, practice caution when taking this supplement if you have the following conditions;
- Hormone related diseases or cancers
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
- Kidney disease
- On any medication such as; estrogen, diuretics or medications that are changed by the liver
- Don’t give it to children
If you are unsure about taking Diindolylmethane then you should speak to a medical professional before starting to take this supplement. Once you are ready to use it, check out this diindolylmethane UK product.
While there is still much to discover about Diindolylmethane it is clearly an exciting supplement that has many potential health benefits. It may even be life changing for people at risk of developing hormone driven diseases. So this supplement is definitely one to follow in the future, especially as we learn more about Diindolylmethane’s ability to protect against certain cancers.
(This post contains affiliate links)